There are many things out there that we want to get. Whether it is a hobby, business, relationship or career, we tend to do one of those things below:
- Envy of other people’s achievements.
- Learn from books and courses of how we can achieve them.
- Think about how we can have the same as others who have achieved certain goals that we want too.
- Try doing the same things as what the other people have achieved.
The problem that most of us face is that we tend to focus too much on one of the above 4 actions. And when that happens,
- People who envy so much will continue to be jealous and stay at their current situation.
- People who focus too much on learning will continue to learn and not even trying them out thoroughly.
- People who focus too much on planning will continue to plan most of their time!
- Lastly, these are the people who kept trying and failing.
Nevertheless, the above 4 types of people will eventually be very good at their actions.
One thing to note is that the above four actions are actually necessary for us to progress well in our lives. We need the motivation (envious of others), the understanding (education), the planning (thinking) as well as the action to make it happen (doing it).
The magic here is to do one thing at a time and make it progress through the four stages.
Never try to deviate and work too much on learning other things, planning other things and executing other things. That may keep you from reaching your success earlier.
In short, do the following and progress onto the next stage as soon as you can!
Stage 1) Motivation
You must have seen successful people whom you want to be in the near future. That is the motivation that drives you to do something about it and change your life.
Stage 2) Theory
Buying books for ideas. Taking up courses to learn them. Do whatever you can but keep it within a month or less to understand the theory and move onto planning.
Stage 3) Mental
Thinking and planning ideas. Referencing the theory that you get, you should be able to do a good plan within a week.
Stage 4) Physical
Executing the ideas should take less than 2 weeks and it should tell you some results so that you can perform PDCA accordingly to react and become better and better.